Friday, November 30, 2007

Thing 8-To Wiki or Not

Wow, radical trust...that's radical! I would use Wikipedia with the knowledge that anyone could be putting information on there that might not be accurate. I would verify the information elsewhere. I think, though, there is a lot that can be done with wikis and our community. We need to understand that the wiki would not necessarily be authoritative. That doesn't mean it doesn't have a place. As for a wiki in Youth Services, I would love to see us use it to develop a YS staff training/procedures manual. As a department we could all be working on the document and it would help to have the input of many on the document.

I have used Wikis for some of my ALA committees and it is a really useful tool. One committee I was on was charged with creating a pamphlet about intellectual freedom. We put the document on a Wiki so everyone on the committee could work on the document. This worked really, really well.

No comments: